Easy to assemble this quick, light and refreshing cucumber salad is full of freshness, tanginess, and crunchiness. The perfect light and refreshing side dish for any summer meal!
A typical cucumber salad recipe is usually pretty basic consisting of cucumbers, a squeeze of lemon, some salt, and a drizzle of olive oil but this is far from basic and takes a small amount of time to prepare.
Not only are it’s easy to make, but it’s just so fresh, and you can eat a lot of salad without feeling weighed down! I especially love when there’s a summer get-together and I get to make more than one delicious chilled salad like this one.
Why you will love this cucumber salad recipe
- Quick and easy to make.
- Refreshing, healthy, and delicious.
What do you need to make this salad?
- Cucumbers – I used English cucumbers, sliced 1/4″ thin.
- Onion – Red onion, halved and sliced 1/4″ thin.
- Peanuts – I used honey coated peanuts, crushed.
- Mint – Freshly chopped!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice – I used freshly squeezed!
- Garlic – Fresh is best! Minced.
- Salt – To taste.
- Red Pepper Flakes
Keep scrolling down to the printable recipe card for FULL ingredient amounts and instructions or click the “Jump to Recipe” button at the top of the page!
How to make this simple cucumber salad
- Combine Ingredients: Add the salad ingredients to a large salad bowl, reserving 1 tbsp of the crushed peanuts.
- Make Dressing: Put all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk them together. Pour the dressing into the salad bowl and toss well to coat.
- Garnish & Serve: Garnish with the reserved peanuts and serve immediately.
Do you Have to Peel the Cucumbers?
If you are using English cucumbers, you don’t have to peel them because the skin is pretty thin. If you are using a regular cucumber that has tough, waxy skin, I recommend peeling the cucumber first. You might want to remove some of the seeds too because they tend to have a bitter flavor.
Make it in advance
You can make this salad the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight allowing the cucumber to soak up all of that delicious dressing. I wouldn’t recommend making this salad too far in advance because the cucumbers could become soggy – you still want that nice, crisp crunch!
What are the health benefits of Cucumbers?
Cucumbers are full of vitamins and nutrients and are low calorie, low sodium, and low in carbohydrates. This veggie contains Vitamin C, Vitamin K, magnesium, potassium, and manganese. Cucumbers are primarily made out of the water, which means that consuming cucumbers will help you stay hydrated.
I make this salad all summer long. It uses simple ingredients that I always have on hand, and pairs perfectly with any curry, grilled vegetables, or as a stand-alone snack for a healthy and hearty meal.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer leftovers to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for 2-3 days. The longer the cucumbers marinate, the softer they will get. They are so good on burgers, sandwiches or in wraps.
If you want to jazz up your cucumber salad, here are some ideas!
- Stir in halved grape or cherry tomatoes.
- Add crumbled feta cheese.
- Add a little green pepper or red pepper.
- If you want to add a little heat, add jalapenos. The crisp cool salad is nice with a little kick of heat!
- Pickled onion is also a great addition instead of raw.
- Mint is my favorite and the classic herb of choice, but feel free to add parsley, basil, or even dill.
MORE SALAD RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE:
I don’t feel like I say this often enough, or that I could ever thank you enough. But THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I am SO thankful for you!
If you make this recipe or any of my recipes, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!