Apple Mint Raita is a yummy, creamy, and refreshing dish prepared by mixing apple chunks with yogurt (curd), spices, and fresh herbs. Lightly spiced apple and yogurt dip is a perfect accompaniment to parathas, pulao or can be consumed as a dessert or snack.
This yummy yogurt dish goes well with rice dishes such as pulao (biryani) or during fasting (e.g. Navratri Fasting) or just as a healthy snack. Grate the apple instead of adding chunks. That makes it equally delicious and makes it a perfect snack for kids as well.
What is Raita?
Raita is an Indian side dish of yogurt containing chopped cucumber or other vegetables, and spices. To amp up the flavor and nutrition, we do add a plethora of fresh vegetables like tomatoes, carrots, spinach, broccoli, boiled potatoes, or even some fruits like pineapple, mangoes, pomegranate, etc.!
This cooling, no-cook yogurt dip is a great accompaniment to spicy curries, pulao, biryanis, etc.! When we have some filling paratha like aloo paratha (Indian flatbread stuffed with a spicy potato mixture), paneer paratha, or any other savory paratha, all you need is a bowl of raita to complete the meal!
This Apple Mint Raita is,
- Quick + Easy
- Full of flavor
- Perfect for Summer Meals
- Gluten free
- 1 cup curd or plain yogurt
- ½ cup milk or water
- ½ tbsp salt
- ¼ tbsp sugar (optional)
- ½ tbsp freshly ground pepper or red chili flakes
- 1 cup chopped apple
- ½ tbsp cumin powder
- ½ cup chopped mint
How to make Apple Raita
- Whisk the yogurt. Add water or milk to get the desired consistency. Gather ingredients. Add spices – cumin powder, chili flakes, or red chili powder or ground black pepper, sugar(optional), chopped mint leaves and mix.
2. Add apple cubes to the bowl. Mix well.
3. Chill the raita before serving. Apple raita is the perfect accompaniment to any spicy Indian curry and tastes best when chilled. Add salt before serving. Sprinkle some mint flakes on top and freshly ground pepper.
Tips and Variations:
- Use of thick and chilled yogurt is recommended.
- I prefer using a whisk over electric blender otherwise raita consistency will be thin.
- If you are preparing it in advance, then do not add salt along with apple pieces, just add and mix it just before serving.
- For variation, you can add chopped banana to make apple banana raita.
- Use peeled apple if you’d prefer. If you are health conscious, then do not peel it because apple skin is rich in nutrition.
- Replace red apples with green, if that makes your taste buds happy.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds.
- To make this raita crunchy, add walnuts.
- Grate the apple instead of adding chunks. That makes it equally delicious.