What is Sweet Potato Papdi Bites?
Sweet Potato Papdi Bites is a delicious healthy snack that’s perfect for summer, or anytime of the year. It’s packed with all those traditional chaat flavors.
This Sweet Potato Bites/Chaat:
✔ Super hit for any party. Your guests will love it.
✔ best starter and totally mouth watering.
✔ makes a great snack or lunch!
✔has a nice balance of crunchy, spicy and sweet flavors.
✔ Does not involve much cooking. Its all about assembling the ingredients, which makes it pretty easy to make.
✔is a great way to enjoy sweet potatoes.
This recipe needs few core ingredients:
Papdi – The small-sized puris are the ones that offer crispiness and savory taste. You can use flavored crackers too such as Tomato Basil Herbs crackers etc.
Yogurt – It is used to balance the spiciness of mint-coriander chutney and the tanginess of tamarind chutney. Yogurt offers a creamy flavor.
Date Tamarind Chutney – This chutney gives a nice sweet taste.
Mint Coriander Chutney – You get the spicy flavor from this chutney.
Sweet Potato – Add boiled or roasted sweet potato to make the chaat filling and balance the flakiness of crispy papdi.
Garnish – with Sev, pomegranate arils, and chopped cilantro.
Assorted spices – Such as red chili powder(optional), salt, chaat masala.
You may add more or less ingredients to this chaat depending on your preference.
- Use your Instant Pot to boil the sweet potatoes for 9 minutes with the valve off, let the pressure naturally release. Alternatively, in a large pot add your sweet potatoes and boil for 20-25 minutes until soft. Do not overcook them as they will turn mushy. If you prefer to deep fry then just parboil them for a while first.
2. Once the sweet potatoes are fork-tender, drain, and peel. Chop them into cubes. Heat oil or butter in a pan. Add sweet potato cubes and fry until golden brown.
3. Keep all the ingredients ready before starting to make papdi bites/chaat. Have boiled or roasted sweet potatoes ready, cut into cubes. Also keep chutneys, sev, pomegranate arils, chopped onion, cilantro, yogurt, and chaat masala on the counter.
4. To assemble the papdi bites/chaat, spread the papdis on the serving dish /plate.
5. Now add boiled or roasted sweet potatoes over the papdis and top them with some chopped onion, mint-coriander chutney tamarind chutney, yogurt, pomegranate arils, chopped cilantro, sprinkle chaat masala and sev.
Note: I topped the sweet potatoes with few drops of chutneys and yogurt so the puris do not get soggy. You can add a layer of all the toppings and add some more crumbled crackers and enjoy!
Also, you can mix everything in a bowl beforehand and then top the puris/crackers with the mixture. Sometimes, I make sweet potato chaat and then use the same mixture for papdi chaat also.
6. Serve papdi bites immediately. Make another serving following the same steps.
- Make sure you have all the ingredients ready before starting to assemble the sev puri as the chutneys can turn the puri soggy.
- Try flavored crackers if puri is not readily available.
- Always assemble the papdi chat at the time of serving else they might get soggy if eaten later.
- Consume the prepared papdi chaat immediately to enjoy all the flavors of this mouthwatering dish.
- Homemade chutneys add fresh flavors than store-bought ones. You can make them beforehand and store them in the refrigerator.
- Only use crispy papdi for best taste. You can use broken papdi and papdi does not need to be in perfect round shape. Papdi gets submerged in other ingredients and forms the base of this chaat, hence shape of papdi is irrelevant.
- Add chickpeas or sprouts, depending upon your personal preference.
Assemble the papdi chaat fresh just before serving. Serve a beverage along with it, such as masala chai, if it’s a cold day, or a mocktail or soda on a hot day.Print
If you love chaat and other street foods of India, you may like to try:
I don’t feel like I say this often enough, or that I could ever thank you enough. But THANK YOU for all of your support, for visiting my blog, commenting, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I am SO thankful for you!
If you make this recipe or any of my recipes, then don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. I would LOVE to hear about your experience and your comments just make my day!