What is Chaat?
Chaat is a savory snack, served as an hors d’oeuvre from stalls or food carts in India. Chaat is usually crunchy, spicy, tangy all the the same time.
Why to love this snack?
- No oil, no sugar recipe
- High protein and fiber.
- Low in carbs.
- Full of bold flavors and colors.
- Vegan and gluten free recipe.
How to make Chana Chaat?
This recipe is a nutrition packed snack made with kabuli chana, crunchy onions, tomatoes, potato, green chili or jalapeno and some easily available spices in kitchen.
Boiled Chickpeas – for this recipe, I have cooked chickpeas in the Instant Pot. Alternatively, you can use store-bought chickpea cans. Drain, rinse, and use as directed.
For flavor and extra crunch– add onion,peanuts(skip if allergic), boiled potato and tomato.
Seasonings – Salt, Red chili flakes or jalapenos or green chili, Chaat Masala, Sev or Aloo bhujia and dried mint or cilantro leaves.
Toss all the ingredients in a bowl or plate. Mix well.
And it’s READY for you to savor…Print
Chana Chaat Recipe
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
Chana Chaat is full of flavor snack, incredibly easy to make and adds a beautiful, bright pop of color to your table. Completely customizable and vegan too!
- 1½ cup boiled Kabuli Chana
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- ½ onion (finely chopped)
- ¼ tomato (finely chopped)
- 1 potato (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp green chillies or jalapenos (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp cilantro or mint leaves (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp chaat masala
- 3 tbsp sev or aloo bhujia
- 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Add the boiled chickpeas to a bowl.
- Add peanuts, green chili or jalapenos , onions, tomatoes, potatoes,lemon juice, and spices to it. Mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and sev or aloo bhujia. Taste and adjust spices as needed.
- Make this chaat with Black Chickpeas, white chickpeas or Garbanzo beans or sprouts. It tastes great when chickpeas/chana is slightly warm.
- Include veggies of your choice. Add pomegranate seeds or cucumber or mango to make it more seasonal.
- Adjust spices to your taste. Add jalapenos or red chilli or green chilli or skip it all together if you are making it for kids or cannot beat the heat of spices. Chaat masala alone is good for taste.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Salad, Side Dish, Snack
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Chana Chaat