Semiya is a simple, healthy and easy breakfast recipe. This makes a light appetizer, snack or light meal.
Semiya is a light dish that is quite popular for breakfast. However, it can also be taken as a snack along with tea. I make this almost every week in my breakfast. This savory snack is also loved by the kids and has much more nutrition than most of the fast foods. The best thing about this is that it’s super simple to make, yet has great zippy flavor. Add any vegetables of your choice to make the dish more wholesome and filling.
How to make Vermicelli?
If you’ve never made vermicelli before, there are a few things you should know before starting this recipe. It’s easy for a package of vermicelli to turn into a big gummy mess, but if you follow these tips, you’ll have sure success!
- Firstly. I have used store-bought vermicelli for this recipe that was already roasted. If you do not find it, roast the vermicelli in ghee or oil for 4-5 minutes until turns golden brown. Sometimes, I roast it in bulk and use it later. Roasting helps to get rid of the raw smell.
- Either you can boil the semiya separately or add them to roasted vegetables and then boil them together to make this a one-pot meal. If you boil them separately, then add the roasted vermicelli only when the water starts to boil. Otherwise, the end result may be mushy and sticky and may not be pleasant to be served.
- Heat oil in a pan. Once hot, add mustard seeds, peanuts, dried red chili, and curry leaves to it.
2. Once mustard seeds start to crackle, add onion, carrot, green chili, and bell pepper to it. You can also add other veggies like beans, green peas, and even broccoli. Cook them for 2-3 minutes.
3. Now add 1 cup of vermicelli to the mixture and mix.
4. Add salt and coriander powder as per taste and mix well.
5. Add 1 cup of water and mix it. Bring it to boil and cover for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the flame. Add ketchup and cover it again. Let it sit for 3-4 minutes.
Note: You can also sprinkle some lemon juice if you do not have ketchup easily available.
6. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve with tea or coffee!!Print