Pear Masala is a sweet and sour dish that can be served with Parathas or roti or rice or as a side to any main dish.
It is an interesting recipe as pear is a fruit and can be eaten as a vegetable too. My mom makes raw banana masala dish also. Both are easy to make with few ingredients, tastes amazing, and add variety to the daily meals.
Pears: Mostly, raw pears will be used for this recipe but you can use ripen too. Cut them into cubes or thin slices.
Condiments: Salt, Red Chili Powder/Green Chilly, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Chaat Masala/Amchur and Sugar.
Onion, Ginger, Tomato and Cilantro: I prefer red onion but yellow onion will also work just fine. Use ginger paste or grate it. Chop tomato. Sprinkle chopped cilantro to garnish.
Step By Step Recipe:
- To start the process of making Pear Masala, we will first chop the Pears into cubes or thin long strips. Grate ginger, chop onion and tomato.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add fennel seeds, dried red chilies and Hing. Let them splutter for few seconds.
3. Add grated ginger and fry until the raw smell of ginger goes away.
4. Now add chopped onion and cook until they are lightly browned.
5. Add chopped tomato, and mix well.
6. Now it’s time to add spices – salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, amchur/chaat masala (optional), and sugar. Mix well.
7. After 2-3 minutes, add pear cubes, mix, cover the lid and cook for 5-7 mins. Switch off the flame.
8. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve Pear Masala with Parathas or roti or rice or as a side to any main dish.Print