Bhindi masala is stir-fried okra made with onion, tomato, and spices, a classic preparation for a side dish. This stir fry is best enjoyed with warm rotis.
- 400 gram bhindi / Okra / Lady finger
- 4 tbsp vegetable or mustard oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon Jeera / Cumin seeds
- 2–3 green chilies roughly chopped or sliced lengthwise
- Salt as desired
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1–2 tbsp amchur /dry mango powder
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Rinse bhindi very well under running water and drain them.
- Pat them dry by wiping each bhindi piece or spread them on a clean paper towel to let them air dry.
- Chop off both the ends and discard them. Cut each bhindi into 3/4 inch pieces.
How to cook Bhindi Masala?
4. Heat 2-3 tablespoons oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped bhindi to the pan. Let it cook on medium heat for 10 mins, then lower the heat to low and cook 5 more minutes. Stir often.
5. You can transfer them to a plate and prepare masala in the same pan. Or make a little room in the pan, add cumin seeds, chopped garlic, and ginger. Saute them for few secs.
6. Add sliced onion to the pan. Mix well and fry for 5-7 mins.
7. Once the onion is golden brown and bhindi is also cooked, add spices – red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and salt. Mix and stir it for 1-2 mins.
8. Add chopped tomatoes, mix and let it cook for a min.
9. Finally add lots of chopped cilantro leaves and lemon juice and turn off the stove.
10. Serve as a side dish with dal or as a main dish with hot rotis!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Side Dish, Main Course
- Cuisine: Indian
- Calories: 227
Keywords: Punjabi Bhindi Masala, Okra Masala