Aloo Gajar Matar is a simple and quick stir fry made with potatoes, carrots, and green peas. Vegan and gluten-free!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 15 ml, or use any oil of choice
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 green chili chopped, or to taste
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger finely chopped
- 7–8 medium carrots 450 grams, cut into circle or dice into 1/2 inch or smaller, use red carrots if possible
- 2–3 medium sized potatoes, cut into small cube size
- 1 cup green peas 150 grams, I used frozen peas, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pomegranate powder
- 2 tablespoons water or as needed
- 1–2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- Wash, peel, and dice the carrots and potatoes. Soak peas(if using frozen) into warm water for 10 mins before adding to pan. Chop ginger, garlic, and green chili.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and dried red chilies. When they start spluttering, add chopped ginger, garlic, and green chili. Sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the diced potatoes and carrots. Mix it.
- Next, add spices -turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder, and red chili, pomegranate powder or chaat masala, salt, along with 2 tablespoons water, and mix well.
- Add strained peas to the pan. Cover and cook until the veggies are cooked through on medium heat, it took 6 to 7 minutes here since carrots were super fresh and potatoes take time too. It might take more time depending on the variety and freshness of carrots. Also, the size of the vegetables they are chopped or diced matters too.
- Add cilantro. Serve Aloo Gajar Matar sabzi with warm roti!
- Cooks best in a heavy-bottomed pan/kadai.
- Avoid adding water, or, add as little as possible. Vegetables cooked in their own moisture taste the best.
- Covering the lid ensures faster cooking.
- Don’t overcook the vegetables otherwise, they will turn mushy and won’t taste good.
- Always add a little water with powdered spices as they get burned very easily.
- Adjust spices as per your taste.
- Lightly spice this curry, as it has so much flavor from the veggies. You can increase or decrease the spice level by adjusting the amount of red chili powder. I like to add mild Kashmiri red chili powder, which adds a wonderful color to this dish.
- Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice in the end if pomegranate powder is not available.
- Feel free to add onion and tomato like other dishes; I like to keep it simple.
- You can also add more vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, French beans, and paneer and make it mix vegetable dish.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Side Dish, Main Course
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 199
Keywords: Aloo Gajar Matar, Gajar Matar